SERVICES

History

Our commitment to caring for children has lasted generations. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Kelso Home for Girls, Strawbridge Home for Boys and Swartzell Methodist Home for Children provided a safe and caring place for vulnerable children to live. These homes eventually merged into the Board of Child Care in 1960.

We have seen the children who grew up at Kelso, Strawbridge and Swartzell thrive through the decades, and our youth today are following this legacy by leaving the Board of Child Care prepared to meet the world and live fulfilling lives. Through patience, love and care, we are continuing to help future generations transform themselves and become productive citizens.

 

MILESTONES Thomas Kelso

1874 

Baltimore businessman Thomas Kelso founds the Kelso Home for Girls in Baltimore. The home later moves to Towson, Md.

 

1912 Swartzell Methodist Home

The Women’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church organizes the Swartzell Methodist Home for Children in Washington, DC. A Board of Trustees incorporates the home in 1921.

Strawbridge Home for Boys

 

1924 

The Strawbridge Home for Boys is dedicated in Eldersburg, Md.

 

1943

The Baltimore Annual Conference of the Methodist Church creates the Board of Child Care to supervise the Kelso, Strawbridge and Swartzell homes.

Board of Child Care Auxiliary

 

1953

The Board of Child Care Auxiliary volunteer organization is established.

 

1960 Board of Child Care Groundbreaking

A permanent home is established for the Board of Child Care in Baltimore. Bishop John Wesley Lord dedicates eight new buildings and 20 acres of land "for the loving care of children."

 

1976 1969

The DC Foster Care Program is established.

 

1981-82

The Baltimore campus emergency shelters open.

Thomas L. Curcio

 

1993 

Thomas L. Curcio becomes Executive Director (later President and CEO)

 

1997 1997

The Strawbridge School opens as a private special education school on the Baltimore campus. The Adoption Services Program is reborn.

 

 

Semi-Independent Living HousesThe Semi-Independent Living Program opens on the Baltimore campus.

 

1999

The Outpatient Mental Health Clinic opens in Pasadena, Md.

The Maryland Treatment Foster Care Program is established.

 

2001-2009

The Tide Point Early Learning Center serves children in Baltimore City.

 

2002Falling Waters Campus

The Falling Waters residential campus opens in West Virginia. 

 

2003

The Washington, DC, office opens and includes the DC Foster Care Program and the new DC Early Childhood Education Center.

2008Ways to Work

The Ways to Work car loan program opens in Baltimore City. 



2010

BCC acquires Alternatives for Youth and Families, a 30-year-old agency in Southern Maryland, adding independent living and therapeutic group homes to BCC's program offering, and expanding the Treatment Foster Care Program.  


2012

A new residential campus for boys opens on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.

The Falling Waters residential program in West Virginia adds a new program, including three new buildings, to serve youth who have co-existing mental health and developmental/cognitive disabilities.

2014

Thomas L. Curcio retires.  Laurie Anne Spagnola takes over as President effective July 1. 

National Commission for the Accreditation of Special Education Services   Educational Assessment Guidelines Leading toward Excellence (EAGLE)   Council on Accreditation (COA)