Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I have to be a United Methodist to use the Board of Child Care’s adoption services?

A. No, we work with people of all religions and with people who have no religious affiliation. Our interest is the placement of children in safe, loving homes.

Q. How much does an adoption cost?

A. Fees vary greatly depending on the type of adoption you choose. The home study and post-placement fees are set fees for service no matter what type of adoption. A pre-adoption meeting and our referral service is free of charge.

Q. What is a home study?

A. A home study consists of a series of interviews with a social worker and certain paperwork that must be completed. The home study is designed to help families prepare for an adoption and meet the requirements of a particular jurisdiction and any other governing entities, such as U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or the Interstate Compact on Placement of Children. Read more about our home study services.

Q. What are post-placement services?

A. In most adoptions, the adopting family’s state of residence or the sending country require follow-up by the agency after the adoption. Post-placement visits occur in the adoptive family’s home and are generally done by the social worker who completes the family’s home study.  BCC can help you not only complete the follow up requirements, but ensure the paperwork is submitted and filled out correctly as well.  Read more about our post-placement services.

Q. Will my child’s birth parents be involved during or after the adoption?

A. In almost all international adoptions, birth parents are anonymous and not involved in the adoption process. In domestic adoptions, there can be some openness and contact, but only if voluntarily and mutually agreed upon between the adoptive and birth parents.

Q. I am an adopted adult thinking about searching for my birth parents. Can the Board of Child Care help?

A. If the Board of Child Care was the agency that completed your adoption and you are 21 or older, then we can help. Likewise, if you placed a child for adoption through the Board of Child Care and that child is now 21 or older, we can also help. Read more about our search and reunification services.